Re: systemctl reboot/halt with non-privilege user

Hi,
It really depends on the policykit setup.
it is, I'm sure even i'm not good at polkit (or even i didn't know polkit, i still believe there is some config
control over this)
i'm saying of the default behavior after installation.

e.g. if the user is in the wheel group, they may have additional
privileges by virtue of that.

On my systems (centos 8 here) policykit will prompt for the root password:

[user@host ~]$ systemctl poweroff

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.login1.set-wall-message ====

Authentication is required to set a wall message

Authenticating as: root

Password:

while my systemctl halt prompt the 'same as system shutdowm' you mentioned
did you try systemctl reboot (if you didn't adjust polkit config from the default one)

It's really strange to have a non-privileged user reboot access by default, isn't.

AN