Re: Systemd setting up two Microchip switch ports as individual network interfaces and then bonding them

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 9:16 AM Kevin P. Fleming <kevin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
While I can't comment on the specifics of configuring systemd-networkd
to use ports through DSA (although the linked GitHub issue shows that
it can be done), I really doubt you are going to be able to
successfully bond any group of such ports, because they all have the
same MAC address. In your proposed configuration, you have a NIC
connected to a switch (internal to your system), which would then have
multiple ports connected to *another* switch. Unless the switches
involved support STP or some other loop-avoidance mechanism, you will
get a switching loop in this configuration.

Connecting multiple ports between two switches requires cooperation in
the switches (STP, or LACP, or something else).ds,

So a primer on DSA:

https://docs.phyglos.org/kernel/networking/dsa/configuration.html

You can make the switch ports act as individual network interfaces (called single port in that web link) that won't create switch loops.

The pre-cursor to DSA that the OpenWRT guys use does the same thing.  It can bust a switch up into individual ports ... then you can do whatever you want with them.

Regards,

Brian