Re: Memory in systemctl status

can you stop "reply-all" and breaking threads when respond to lists?

Am 28.09.20 um 13:55 schrieb Benjamin Berg:

>>> No, the kernel kicks in and reclaims memory at that point. Which can
>>> mean either swapping or just dropping caches.
>>
>> caches have *nothing* to do with the service itself
>
> They really do. Try running multiple concurrent services that are
> actually competing for limited memory resources. Caches are only boring
> as long as you have plenty of extra memory available so that there is
> no competition for it.

and?

>>> It really sounds to me like ulimit fits better what you are trying to
>>> do. That is available through Limit*=, see systemd.exec.
>>
>> hell first i want a output in "systemctl status whatever" which is true
>> and don't contain a ISO image downloaded by someone two days ago
>
> The output does not match your expectation. But that really doesn't
> mean it is false. If you really want more detail, then have a look at
>   /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/httpd.service/memory.stat
> but
>   /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/httpd.service/memory.current
> really is important. It is the one that tells you how much system
> memory is used by the kernel to keep the service running.

9191358464

that cache part contains downloads from a week ago which are not freed
because there is no reason, the kernel even uses that cache when a
cronjob or wahtever other service / process is doing something with that
files

pretend it's used by httpd.service in the output is completly wrong,
"Memory: 8.5G" is wrong, plain wrong

the service is using what htop shows

/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/httpd.service/memory.current maybe nice an
additional output, but pretend that's the memory the service is using is
wrong