Re: 99-default.link which such a high number ?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 17:46 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I want to override /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link so I need
to create a file starting with "99-" prefix.

This doesn't seem logical to me because the numbers are supposed to
encode the priority however nothing is left to the user if the
defaults used is 99.

It depends on whether the _first_ matching file is used, or whether the _last_ matching file is used – different programs choose differently. (If the program merges all files, it still depends on whether the first value of a particular setting is used, or whether the last one is used.)

As mentioned in systemd.link(5), udev only chooses one .link file per interface – just the first one that matched – therefore 00 is the highest priority.