Re: Journal message timestamps

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:33:04 +0100
Mark Corbin <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am working on time synchronisation issues at boot for systems without
> an RTC (using balenaOS on a Raspberry Pi 3) and have some questions
> about how journald assigns timestamps to log messages.
>
> When I boot my system and look at the journal I see an initial date/time
> for kernel messages, e.g. '1 June 2020 10:00:00' followed by messages
> with the 'correct' date/time once the system time has been set from
> another source, e.g. build time, NTP, etc. This means that over several
> reboots I have lots of sets of log messages from 1 June 2020 which
> understandably confuses the 'journalctl --list-boots' command. I found
> an issue that describes the problem here
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/662 and had assumed that there
> wasn't anything I could do about this.

> Any general details about how journald applies timestamps would also be
> greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you, but I have encountered a
different issue that causes journald to lose track of boots and
therefore the message ordering becomes useless: boot_id not
changing on reboot. More info at

The messages still show up with the right wall-clock time (once
the clock is set), they are just ordered badly: it is as if the
wall-clock time would be jumping forward and backward days, weeks or
months randomly.

Thanks,
pq