Antw: [EXT] Re: Using timedatectl on a readonly rootfile system using mender

>>> Shravan Singh <shravan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 20.08.2020 um 20:22 in
Nachricht
<CABjzrPTf8PtZ24_KOZ-xd8BDdJC0DhgWTaEnCdX1JDSCAujcPw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello Andrei,
>
> Thank you for your email. Yes, People have been telling me this:
>
> *Changing timezone globally requires changing /etc/localtime link which
> requires writable /etc. *
>
> But no one is telling how to resolve my issue with a read-only rootfs.
> There are other files which can be overwritten in /etc that are linked to a
> file in /run directory for eg /etc/resolv.conf file.
> Then why not /etc/localtime. Why is localtime guarded so much

I guess this is due to the fact that a PDP 11 really wasn't a mobile computer;
thus the system timezone was not expected to change every boot. ;-)

> I refuse to believe that I am the only person facing this problem. But I
> did find some leads now. Will keep you posted

Traditionally /etc (thus rootfs) is writable. No problems. Making it
read-only, you create a problem.