Re: vt220 default for serial console still relevant?

On 7/13/20 4:08 PM, Barry wrote:

On 11 Jul 2020, at 20:31, Daan De Meyer <daan.j.demeyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> TERM=linux means Linux console, but that's just too much, as it not
> only implies a multitude of ESC sequences specific to the Linux
> console, but also indicates that certain ioctls might work. In our own
> code we also bind certain behaviour to TERM=linux, as indicator if we
> are on the Linux console.
>
> I am not aware of any widely-supported TERM value that would be a
> reasonable subset of all currently used terminals and does color.

I did some more research and it turns out VT220 does support colors. My terminal emulator (Konsole) just doesn't seem to support it. I installed xterm (which explicitly advertises support for VT220 escape codes) and got colored output as expected.  I guess this means it's up to Konsole to support more of VT220 if I want this to work seamlessly (or I switch terminals to xterm).

No vt220 does not support colour. I used to work on one and it is monochrome hardware.
Xterm and konsole support extensions beyond vt220 that add in the colour support.

Not sure how much (offtopic) history we want to get into. I used the VT240 in my college graphics class. The VT241 was the color variant.

See: http://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/DEC_VT240

I still meet programmers what hard code ansi sequences rather than querying termcap/terminfo. You know what they say about those who "assume".