Re: Can service of timers.target having After=multi-user.target create a loop?

12.07.2020 16:21, Amish пишет:
> Hello,
>
> This is a question out of curiosity and not currently any problem.
>
> I have a timer file like this:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Foo
> After=multi-user.target
>
> [Timer]
> OnCalendar=*:0/5
> Persistent=false
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=timers.target
>
> And corresponding service file like this:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Foo
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=-/usr/bin/checkservices
>
> /usr/bin/checkservices checks if some important services are running and
> sends alert if not.
>
> Above timer is supposed to run every five minutes. But not while system
> is still booting.
>
> If I do not put After=multi-user.target then timer gets triggered even
> before those services have begun (while booting) and sends false alarm.
>
> With above settings, I do not face that issue.
>
> But just out of curiosity I am eager to know if this or something
> similar can cause loop and hang system forever from booting?
>
> Because AFAIK timers.target runs before multi-user.target. But here
> something inside timers.target waits for multi-user.target.
>
> So how does systemd resolve this loop?

There is no loop. There is no transitive dependency between timer unit
and service unit. Timer unit gets started early and enqueues start job
for service unit; this start job waits for multi-user.target according
to After dependency. Mulitple invocation of timer will try enqueue start
job again which will simply be merged with existing pending request.