Re: systemd-journald, syslog.socket and service activation

On 02/07/2020 16:44, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

This is common misunderstanding. Dependencies are between jobs, not
between units. Requires means systemd will submit additional job for
dependent unit - nothing more nothing less. Unless systemd is also told
to wait for result of this additional job, both are started in parallel
and failure of dependent job does not affect other unit in any way.

You're right. Sorry if I was not clear.
Note however that systemd.unit doc talks about units, not jobs for Requires=

Anyway, it turns out that systemctl list-dependencies --after rsyslog.service shows also an ordering dependency on sockets.target / syslog.socket.

So, I might be wrong but shouldn't Requires= + After= make the rsyslog service fail if syslog.socket fails ?

# systemctl show -p Requires,After rsyslog.service
Requires=syslog.socket system.slice sysinit.target
After=system.slice sysinit.target syslog.socket network.target basic.target network-online.target

Doc says:
"If this unit gets activated, the units listed will be activated as well. If one of the other units fails to activate, and an ordering dependency After= on the failing unit is set, this unit will not be started. "

That's what I meant and though it does seems so at boot, I seemed to experience the contrary when manually starting rsyslog.service...

So I must like you said misunderstand something...

Thanks for your help

--
Thomas HUMMEL