Re: Ensuring that a unit starts before any networking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 10:27, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, this is a bug in the the distro packaging. Please file a bug
against your distro, so that they add After=network-pre.target.

Will do.

My educated guess is that, it's not trvial to get this right: we
document what network-pre.target is for in systemd.special(7) man
page, but I figure not everyone looks there. And i guess one most know
a certain level of systemd to understand what this actually means for
a specific implementation.

Fair enough.

From that, is it reasonable to conclude that this is just an omission that has no potential negative effects from being fixed? I can't see any reason why adding After=network-pre.target would have direct a negative impact (it's plausible that on some systems it could subtly alter startup ordering and expose a bug that was previously hidden by luck, but that's not a reason to avoid doing it) and so there is no good reason not to do this, but my knowledge of this isn't adequate to make an informed statement on that matter. Before I make the argument for it being fixed I want to be sure of my argument!

--