Re: Better network naming on Hyper-V/Azure?

(resending after subscribed to systemd-devel)

On Azure, "Accelerated Networking" means SRIOV / VF NICs.

> > There are a couple of other quirks:
> >   1. The current cloudinit and other startup applications require eth0 as
> >      the administrative and always there interface, hard wired into the
> >      code. How to handle that?
>
> if you have multiple devices and want a specific one to be named eth0
> then this is inhrently racy since we can't sensibly rename the device
> like that in userspace because we'd always race against the kernel's
> own naming regime.
>
> Naming an interface "eth0" only really works if you have only one
> interface or if you don't care about the names at all. If you have
> multiple then pick different names outside of the ethX namespace the
> kernel allocates from.
>
> In the case where you only have a single interface or don't care about
> the name then drop in a .link file that matches the interface
> generically and sets NamePolicy=kernel so that the kernel name is used
> as it is.
>
> >   2. Hyper-V has the ability for host administrator to assign a name, but
> >      it is more of a free form string so it is used as default
> >      network description.
>
> Current systemd git has support for assigning "alternative" ifnames to
> devices, using that new kernel feature. On kernels that support that
> we'll initialize the alternative ifnames to all names we could
> possibly come up with (i.e. so that an interface always be be referred
> to by its by-path, by-slot, by-mac name equally). Since the
> alternative ifnames are not IFNAMSIZ long (but 128 chars long) maybe
> they are suitable to use for these hyperv "free form string" if that
> makes sense given the charset restrictions.
>
> >   3. Azure has names as part of the CLI for manipulating VM's but these
> >      are not currently exposed to guest. If this could happen would it help or
> >      hurt.
>
> I mean, we are happy to make use of any names that make sense. Not
> sure why hyperv needs three different symbolic names for each
> interface, but if it is how it is, then we can toally expose them all
> ;-).

Hyper-V offers netvsc devices (synthetic NICs) in the same sequence across
reboots, so eth0 ... ethN names will associate to the same vNIC every time
with Sync-probing currently.

But if in the future, we enable Async-probing, the naming may not persistent
across reboots. In my patch set (not yet upstream), I added a new attribute
(dev_num) in sysfs to keep track of the device channel offer sequence. So user
mode program can have the option to use this attribute to name NICs, and
generates the same results for Async-probing as Sync-probing does.

Thanks,
- Haiyang