Re: How to apply for partition type GUID for Linux /boot?

On Mi, 27.11.19 12:43, Paul Menzel (pmenzel+systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Dear systemd folks,
>
> A partition type GUID [1] for the partition to be mounted under `/boot`
> when started with Linux would be nice. For example, there is already one
> for FreeBSD /boot [2].
>
> As you seem to have requested one for the freedesktop.org shared boot
> loader partition already, could you please share the application process
> for such a partition type GUID?

The great thing about UUIDs are that they are an unmanaged
namespace. Anyone can pick one, as long they generate them properly
(which today means pulling from a good /dev/urandom).

Hence there's no requesting or registration, you just pick one,
that's it.

I don't know what you expect /boot to be. In the systemd context we
defined the "extended boot loader partition", which is a place you can
place kernels and stuff, if you don't want to use the EFI ESP for
that, and sd-boot and our userspace tools look in it too. It's
automatically discovered and mounted to /boot if it exists, by
systemd-gpt-auto-generator.

This extended boot loader partition as GPT type UUID
bc13c2ff-59e6-4262-a352-b275fd6f7172 and that's documented in the
systemd-gpt-auto-generator(8) man page.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin