Re: Thoughts about storing unit/job statistics

On Fr, 08.11.19 11:15, Philip Withnall (philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As part of work on a GNOME feature for monitoring how often the user
> uses applications (for example, to let them know that they spent 4
> hours in the Slack app, or 17 hours playing games), I’m trying to work
> out the best way to store data like that.
>
> If we assume the system is using systemd user sessions, then an
> application being run is actually a unit being started, and so the data
> we want to store is actually the duration of each unit run.
>
> A related issue is that of storing network usage data per unit, to
> allow the user to see which apps have been using the most data over the
> last (say) month.

This data can already be tracked by systemd for you, just set
IPAccounting=yes for the service. Alas this only works for system
services currently, since the bpf/cgroup2 logic this relies on is only
accessible to privileged processes. (Fixing that would probably mean
introducing a tiny privileged service that takes a cgroup fd as input,
and then installs the correct bpf program and bpf table into it,
returning the fds for these to objects. Happy to take a patch for
that.)

> If I were to implement this as a separate daemon, it would need to be
> active all the time, listening to UnitNew/UnitRemoved/JobNew/JobRemoved
> signals from systemd. That seems like a waste of a process. Let’s call
> this problem 0.

This data is already collected and written to the journal anyway if
you turn on the various XYZAccounting= properties for your
services. Then use the invocation ID of the service and the
MESSAGE_ID=ae8f7b866b0347b9af31fe1c80b127c0 match in journalctl to
find these.

> One approach would be to store this data in the journal, but (problems
> 1-3):
>  1. We can’t control how long the journal data is around for, or even
> if it’s set to persist.

You can pull the data from the journal at your own pace, always
keeping the cursor you last read from around so that you don't lose
messages.

>  2. This data couldn’t be stored separately (for example, in a separate
> journal file) so that the user could delete it all together and
> separately from the rest of the journal. (To reset their usage data.)
>  3. Querying it from the journal would mean filtering and iterating
> through everything else in the journal, which is not going to be the
> fastest (although it probably wouldn’t be too bad, and we would be
> appending a lot more often than we would be querying).

Well, the format is indexed. It shouldn't be that bad.

> So I have two questions:
>  1. Does this seem like the kind of functionality which should go into
> the journal, if it was modified to address problems 1-3 above?
>  1a. If not, do you have any suggestions for how to implement it so
> that problem 0 above is not an issue, i.e. we don’t have to keep a
> daemon running all the time just to record a small chunk of data once
> every few minutes?
>  2. Does this seem like a subset of a larger bit of functionality,
> storing metrics about units and jobs for later analysis, which might be
> interesting to non-desktop users of systemd?

A long-standing TODO item in systemd was to have some form of metrics
collector, that may be turned on and that writes a time-keyed ring
buffer  of metrics collected per service to disk, from the data
collected via cgroup attributes, bpf and so on. But so far noone has
found the time to do it. It probably should be decoupled from PID 1 in
some form, so that PID 1 only pings it whenever a new cgroup shall be
watched but the collecting/writing of the data points is done entirely
separate from it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin