Re: F30->F31 systemd-networkd no IPv6 autoconfiguration

On Fri, 2019-11-08 at 20:30 -0600, Anthony Joseph Messina wrote:
> Thank you for responding Ryan.  AFAIK, I don't have both systemd-
> networkd and
> NetworkManager "running" or enabled. In fact, I have had
> NetworkManager
> disabled on these systems for some time (back through F27, I
> believe).  Post
> upgrade (or fresh install) I ensure that NetworkManager is not re-
> enabled, and
> that systemd-networkd is enabled.

> Unforuntately, trying to remove
> NetworkManager completely seems like a heavy hammer based on the `dnf
> remove`
> output below.

Seems dnf wants to also unstall packages that were installed due to
NetworkManager. For exapmle, "libndp" obvoiusly has no dependency on
NetworkManager (but the other way around). You probable should use the
right argument to dnf to not remove unrelated packages.

> Also, these identical systemd-networkd configurations do work on F30,
> just not
> on systems upgraded to F31.
>
> The only recent change I notice in F31, is that NetworkManager is
> initialized
> during early boot even when the service is disabled and masked.

NM indeed may now run in early boot. That has no relation to whether
you enable the systemd service ("enabling" a service in systemd anyway
only means to hook it up accroding to the [Install] section, and that
does not cover what runs in initrd).

I would suspect that NetworkManager sets the interface to disable ipv6
address generation (e.g. `ip -d link` would report "addrgenmode none").
It probably shouldn't do so, if there is not configuration for the
device. This is probably a bug.

Another question is what causes NM to run in initrd in the first place.
Usually that would be caused by setting "rd.neednet=1" on the kernel
command line. But dracut may also artificially add such a command line,
according to its configuration. You probably don't want to setup
networking in initrd in the first place. That is, check your dracut
configuration...

best,
Thomas