Re: systemd put it uinder a custom slice

On 31/10/2019 11:02, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mi, 30.10.19 11:08, Bhasker C V (bhasker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I have been googl-ing for a few days now but could not stumble upon a
>> solution I am looking for.
>>
>> Apologies if this is a noob question.
>>
>> Is there a way to use custom slices with my systemd-nspawn container ?
>>
>> I see that systemd-nspawn man page says using --slice= but any such
>> cgroup created is not accepted by this option (I dont know how to create
>> a slice externally from systemd unit-files)
>>
>> $ sudo cgcreate  -g freezer,memory:/test
> This is not supported.
>
> systemd owns the cgroup tree, only subtrees for which delegation is
> explicitly turned on can be managed by other programs, for example for
> the purpose of container managers.
>
> Thus, creating cgroups manually, directly via cgcreate at the top of
> the tree is explicitly not supported.
>
> Use systemd's own concepts, i.e. slice units, direct cgroup access
> bypassing systemd at the top of the tree is explicitly not supported.

a) Does this mean that running systemd-nspawn from command-line (via
scripts) does not give the user any control over cgroups ? if that is
possible please can you help explaning a bit more ?

b) What is the use of --slice= option in systemd-nspawn ? if I can pass
a slice name, I derive that it should be possible (by some means) to
create the slice name with some command ?

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Berlin

Bhasker C V