Re: Unit dependencies for socket activated services

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM Marc Haber <mh+systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hallo,

when I want a normal service to be started only after the networks is
ready, I put

|[Unit]
|After=network-online.target
|Wants=network-online.target

into the service unit.

Now I have a socket activated service which I know won't properly start
(but claim readiness) if started before the network is ready.

Would I put those two lines into foo.service or foo.socket?

If you put them in foo.socket -- the socket won't even show up as "listening" until network-online is reached, and early connection attempts will immediately fail.

If you put them in foo.service -- the socket will be always listening, but the service startup will wait until network-online is reached, and early connection attempts will be queued until the service claims to be ready.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas