Re: host0 virtual link suddenly default down in systemd-nspawn container

> On Sep 9, 2019, at 12:16, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Johannes Ernst writes:
>> I've been running the same systemd-nspawn container for some time, always with the same options:
>>
>> 	systemd-nspawn -b -n -D dir -M name --bind /home -x
>>
>> It would always bring up the virtual ethernet link immediately during
>> boot of the container. But since a recent Arch (host) upgrade (I
>> think), the virtual ethernet link host0 now stays "down" during boot
>> of the container:
>
> Do you use systemd-networkd?  I noticed that systemd-networks no longer
> starts in nspawn containers (the condition for CAP_NET_ADMIN failed), so
> nothing configured the network interface after upgrading to systemd 243
> in Debian experimental.

Yes, I am running systemd-networkd and it is automatically started in the container. (So I don’t have the same condition failing.) But there is an error in the log which I had overlooked:

-- Reboot --
Sep 09 20:24:00 ubos-x8664-container systemd[1]: Starting Network Service...
Sep 09 20:24:01 ubos-x8664-container systemd-networkd[39]: Enumeration completed
Sep 09 20:24:01 ubos-x8664-container systemd[1]: Started Network Service.
Sep 09 20:24:01 ubos-x8664-container systemd-networkd[39]: host0: Could not bring up interface: Invalid argument

Hmmm … I do have interface host0@if18, and I can bring it up with “ip". Why would it think it’s an invalid argument?

Same thing happens if I stop and start systemd-networkd manually after the boot.

Cheers,

Johannes.