Re: Antw: Re: /etc/fstab obsolete?

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 06:44, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Also you have to distinguish hating a product from hating some individual
person, and "all the" time is definitely an exaggeration.

That distinction is very hard for the persons that spend a lot of their time and money into making the product. It's one thing if your frustration and hate is aimed at a faceless corporation like the famous f-you Linus sent towards nvidia at the time[1], but it's quite another matter on a mailing list with the persons that actually make the software.

Ulrich, we all know by now how you feel about this matter, so why not stop with belabouring that point.  Just point out the problems you are facing in a neutral manner and work with us towards a solution. I too was reluctant to get started with systemd, not because of systemd but because it meant I had to learn something new, and adapt my scripts etc etc, (it's how I currently feel about firewalld), and because of the problems I have had in the past with pulseaudio had made me relucant to get into bed with software Lennart is involved with.

However, as a systems administrator, systemd has made my life so much simpler and easier. Not only do systems boot up much quicker, but it's easier to write service files than it is to write sysv init scripts, plus, one size fits all. Arch linux used to have a way of enabling services, Fedora/Centos/... used to have another way, debian yet another way, etc. now with systemd there's one way that works across the board.

Yes, I have run into problems, yes there were times when a production server didn't come online afterwards because the unified network card names thing bit me, or when a disk filled up with journals, or ...  but that all came from being a bit lazy and not reading the docs etc, but it all was worth it in the end and it has made things like supervisord obsolete.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g