help: unmounting iscsi xfs filesystem without using netdev in /etc/fstab

Managed to detect/mount iscsi devices without using _netdev keyword in /etc/fstab.  Made changes within src/fstab-generator/ftstab-generator.c and it seems to work.  The only problem is during shutdown/reboot, my iscsi xfs filesystem does not unmount cleanly before the network/iscs service/system is shutdown.  When this happens I receive a xfs error/warning.

However this doesn't happen when _netdev is specified in /etc/fstab for my iscsi device.  Seems _netdev handles management of mounts/unmounts before killing things off.  How exactly does _netdev manage unmounting filesystems during a shutdown/reboot?   I would like to invoke that same netdev unmount code/logic myself from within systemd source but without using the _netdev keyword. Unfortunately it is a requirement to not use _netdev within /etc/fstab for iscsi.  Seems _netdev takes a long time to timeout and continue when unable to mount.

Checked src/core/mount.c and src/core/unmount.c but not sure what to do to duplicate how _netdev manages unmounting before the system is shutdown or rebooted.  Do I need a special before and after keyword in /etc/fstab so my xfs filesystems is unmounted before shutting down the iscsi service/network/system?  If so, will such keywords also propagate to /run/systemd/generator/remote-fs-target.requires?

Thanks,
Tony