Help: Local and Remote targets

I modified systemd-219 functionality to meet a custom requirement for detecting filesystems/devices that use iscsi without using the _netdev keyword in /etc/fstab.  It is a strict requirement regarding not using _netdev that I have no control over.   However,  I am stuck.

From my understanding, src/fstab-generator.c is used to determine LOCAL-FS and REMOTE-FS.  I have modified fstab-generator.c to search for iscsi udev devices which works, provided the system is already fully booted (typical multi-user state type of thing).  I can also find /dev/disk/ block devices including iscsi devices using my logic within fstab-generator.c.  The problem is when the system reboots, it appears systemd using the same fstab-generator logic that I implemented is unable to detect any iscsi devices.  After doing some research, it appears normal systemd behavior is to mount  /  and /usr then invoke fstab-generator.c to determine if a given filesystem in /etc/fstab should be a local or remote target.

The problem is I have no way to tell if a given iscsi filesystem/device specified in /etc/fstab (without the _netdev keyord ) is local/remote during the booting state.  Mainly because devices are not yet populated in /dev/disk or udev.  Is there a way I can determine if a filesystem/mount point/device specified in /etc/fstab is local or remote without the _netdev or fstype (which handles nfs, etc) keywords within fstab-generator.c? If checking udev and /dev/disk are not possible within fstab-generator.c, because such devices are not yet populated, then what should I modify within the systemd source so I can determine such local/remote targets myself and pass it to fstab-generator.c (especially when the system is in that / and /usr mounting state and udev devices are not yet populated?

Thanks,
Tony