Re: Antw: sd_journal_send non-blocking call

Since sd_journal_send uses

fd = journal_fd();
which has

fd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, 0);
this socket is opened without a non-blocking call.

This might cause the unix socket daemon to block this .

The other approach could be passing a nonblocking flag to

k = sendmsg(fd, &mh, MSG_NOSIGNAL);

MSG_DONTWAIT flag .

ARE ANY OF THESE APPROACHES TRIED OR is there a plan to support this complete non blocking sd_journal_print call  ?

regards

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 2:52 AM Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:44 PM Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Mantas Mikulenas <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 18.07.2019 um 10:06 in
Nachricht
<CAPWNY8XS1jw9iU_a-tagNw-v0NqeMAcWDRpftPdeKW_NFanqtA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Nachricht
>> <5d2fc2f0.1c69fb81.214d0.1aca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am using sd_journal_send api() api call to log messages on syslog
>> server.
>> > I see that this uses
>> > sendmsg(fd, &mh, MSG_NOSIGNAL) call.
>>
>> Aren't syslog messages UDP anyway? When would an UDP send block?
>>

> No, program APIs use Unix sockets (/dev/log, /run/systemd/journal/socket).
> You only get UDP when your local syslog daemon is configured to forward
> elsewhere.
>
> That said, both are datagram sockets, I'm not sure whether sending to Unix
> dgram sockets can block or not?

??? Datagram _is_ UDP

UDP is datagram, but datagram is not always UDP.

"UDP" specifically means the datagram transport protocol that runs over IPv4/IPv6, nothing else. Unix sockets (AF_UNIX) have a datagram mode but they do not use UDP (or IP). Netlink is datagram-based but it isn't UDP-based. &c.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Best Regards,
Vaibhav Dahiya
Master's. Candidate in CSC (Computer Science)
North Carolina State University
Ph: (919) 888-8429