systemd-timedated: Not possible to set time zone that is a symlink!

Hi,

The systemd-timedated doesn't allow setting a tz-file under /usr/share/zoneinfo to be a symlink. Is it due to security reasons?

I am asking because our system mount /usr/share/zoneinfo as read-only and because of legacy we need to support the user being able to change the TZ string in a tz-file. Installing a symlink that point to such a tz-file will allow us to use the systemd-timedated interface to set time zone. The changeable tz-file (located at /etc/...) can be altered by root and a specific service. Do you see any potential risk by doing so?

Best Regards,

Christopher Wong