Re: Antw: Re: Unexplainable unit restart ("Start request repeated too quickly")

On Di, 04.06.19 08:24, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Nachricht <alpine.LFD.2.21.1906032106200.3180@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> [...]
> >
> > Um, OK. I don't think we're any closer to solving your problem though. :-)
>
> Actually I am!
> The root of the problem is that any oneshot service without
> RemainAfterExit=true is listed as "inactive (dead)" after being
> started. I think the manual page should be more clear on that fact!

Please file a github issue requesting clarification of this fact in
the docs. Or even better prep a PR that adds a brief comment about that!

> Then if you have a dependency like this (best viewed with a monospaced font):
>  / \
> A-C-E
>  \ /
>
> where A is a target that wants B,C,D, and each of those in turn wants E (which is the oneshot service), the following happens:
> When starting A, E is NOT started ONCE, but it is started THREE TIMES, while my expectation was it will be started once only. As I had set a burst limit of 1, an unexpected fauilure was reported.
>
> What I'm unsure: Does systemd wait for each "start of E" to
> terminate before calling the next one (i.e. serialized), or are the
> starts being attempted in parallel?

Unless you use "template units", systemd only manages one invocation
of a specific service at a time, and that fulfills all deps.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin