Re: Antw: Re: Q: Implementing logrotate's postrotate with systemd

Am Di., 11. Juni 2019 um 15:00 Uhr schrieb Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Nachricht <917331d8-845f-54d5-908c-e6c7d124a3c6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > Am 11.06.19 um 13:34 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
> >> I have a forking service (with a PID file) that can reopen the logfile after
> > receiving SIGHUP. In the past I had implemented "rc{service} rotate" to send
> > SIGHUP to the daemon as "postrotate" action. After converting (actually being
> > converted ;-)) to systemd I dropped the LSB script, and wonder which command
> > to use as "postrotate" action:
> >>
> >> Should I implement a oneshot service (using "systemctl start {service}")
> > that does depend on the actual service and send a SIGHUP on start, or is
> > there a more elegent solution?
> >
> > that's what reload is all about
> >
> > [harry@srv-rhsoft:/etc/systemd/system]$ cat named.service | grep Reload
> > ExecReload=/usr/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
>
> The manual page says it's about "configuration reload". I was talking about logfile rotation (my service does not suport configuration reload (other than restart)).

Right, I wouldn't use ExecReload= for this use case myself.
If I run "systemctl reload $service", I expect that the service
reloads its configuration and I think it's good practice to be
consistent in that matter and not overload ExecReload= with "rotate
log files".

universe are pointed away from Earth?