Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Unexplainable unit restart ("Start request repeated too quickly")

Am 03.06.19 um 12:43 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
> Nachricht <e9c0903d-dbae-b9c6-d202-ebb0d0e7b399@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> That's a valuable hint: I thought systemd would remember that once started
>>> with success, the service is considered started until stopped manually.
>>> So does RemainAFterExit created a kind of dummy process that just remembers
>>> the state? The manual is not clear when you would need it:
>>>
>>>        RemainAfterExit=
>>>            Takes a boolean value that specifies whether the service shall be
>>>            considered active even when all its processes exited. Defaults to
>>>            no.
>>
>> a oneshot service without "RemainAfterExit" is not "active" for good
>> reasons - think about timer activated units or socket activated services
>> which both terminate after the last process exits and are started again
>> at the next event
>
> But why isn't it on by default for "oneshot"?

why should it?

the whole point of "oneshot" is what it says: oneshot
RemainAfterExit is the exception from them

> And if RemainAfterExit is on, can I simply "start" a oneshot service again, or do I need a "restart"?

no, and i have implicit answered that pointiong out timer and socket
activated services where RemainAfterExit would work only once and then,
well, it's considered as running an not started again on the next event
even if there is no process