Re: How to get hardware watchdog status when using systemd

On 28.05.2019 14:00, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
This currently isn't exported by systemd, and there's even no log
message at debug level. I guess this could be exposed, but I don't
think it'd be very useful. If the watchdog ping works, most people
don't need to look at it. If it doesn't, the machine should reboot...

Yes. Maybe I should be more clear in my goal: enabling the systemd option to ping the watchdog doesn't have any visible effects until the system hangs. I wanted to see an "effect" without resorting to "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger".

If this is just for debugging, you can do something like

   sudo strace -e ioctl -p 1

and look for WDIOC_KEEPALIVE.

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for! As far as I can see adding "-r" to strace prints nice relative times that correspond to the "RuntimeWatchdogSec" value.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--