Re: umount NFS problem

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 9:28 AM Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

I've got a device-busy-problem with /home, mounted via NFS.
Shutdown of the host takes more than 180 secs. See attached
log file.

Apparently the umount of /home at 81925.154995 failed, (device
busy, in my case it was a lost gpg-agent). This error was
ignored, the NFS framework was shut down, the network was
stopped, and then it was too late to properly handle the /home
mount point.

AFAIK the mount units are generated from /etc/fstab, so I wonder
if this could be improved?

The job order (home.mount vs nfs-client.target) already looks correct, so fstab options probably won't help much; I'd try to ensure that the umount doesn't fail in the first place.

Normally I'd expect user sessions (user-*.slice, session-*.scope, user@*.service) to be killed before mount units are stopped; I wonder how random gpg-agent processes have managed to escape that. (Actually, doesn't Debian now manage gpg-agent via user@.service? That *really* should be cleaning up everything properly...)

You might also try to enable [Mount] LazyUnmount= for home.mount so that umounts appear to succeed immediately and the kernel cleans them up when it can. It mostly just hides the problem though.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas