Re: Testing if timesyncd is synced

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019, 19:23 Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Mantas Mikulenas [mailto:grawity@xxxxxxxxx]
>
> Call adjtimex(2) and check whether buf.status has STA_UNSYNC
> (should be unset when clock is synchronized).
>
> The systemd-timedated helper service
> (org.freedesktop.timedate1) exposes the same flag as the
> org.freedesktop.timedate1.NTPSynchronized property on
> /org/freedesktop/timedate1.

That looks pretty simple. I'll try it out. This is my own Yocto-based embedded system with a recent kernel, so there are no issues of compatibility, as others warned about.

adjtimex(2) the kernel syscall has existed since kernel 2.4.x at least, possibly even as far back as 1.0. It's older than systemd-timesyncd in any case.

Others apparently were talking about /bin/adjtimex the standalone executable, which has certainly been around at least in the 2.6.x era, but being a CLI app it really makes a poor programming interface anyway.
--

Mantas Mikulėnas