Re: Testing if timesyncd is synced

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 3:01 PM Aurelian Melinte <ame01@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/02/2019 4:18 a.m., Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What's the simplest way to test if systemd-timesyncd is currently synced
to the network, from within an embedded application (running with root
privileges)? Is there some single dbus transaction that will give me this
answer?

Call adjtimex(2) and check whether buf.status has STA_UNSYNC (should be unset when clock is synchronized).

The systemd-timedated helper service (org.freedesktop.timedate1) exposes the same flag as the org.freedesktop.timedate1.NTPSynchronized property on /org/freedesktop/timedate1.

(That said, this deliberately won't work if you've configured timesyncd to use "local time" instead of UTC, as timesyncd doesn't want to activate RTC updates in that mode.)

timesyncd itself exposes several properties including the actual received NTPMessage, but I'm not sure if it's as good as an explicit indication. It does emit update signals however.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Some (old?) systems do not have adjtimex:

$ adjtimex

-bash: adjtimex: command not found

I wasn't talking about the command-line tool, but about the Linux kernel syscall.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas