Calling sd_bus_reply_method_return outside method handler

I want to send a reply to a method call outside method_handler. Is it possible?
In the method_handler I increase reference count of sd_bus_message and send it to the other thread. From there I want to call sd_bus_reply_method_return to send a reply but get Unknown method or interface error when I invoke method with bussctl --user call. If I call the return method from method_handler everything works as expected.

Thank you