Suspend issues

OS - Gentoo
Kernel - 4.14.83-gentoo
My laptop is an optimus laptop if that is relevant.

Configuration-
reik@localhost ~ $ systemctl --version
systemd 239
+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL -XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN2 -IDN +PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid

Running systemctl suspend (or suspending my laptop by pressing the power button - I think it triggers systemctl suspend) disables the external monitor on my laptop. For my external monitor to turn back on, only powering off my laptop and turning it back on works. Rebooting does not.

It works perfectly when I do not have an external monitor connected.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

--
Pratyush Das(Reik)