Wireless mesh networks and link_carrier_gained

Hello,

I have been testing the uses of systemd-networkd to configure wireless mesh networks, and have encountered a problem which manifests itself as a failure to correctly configure the additional dchp options offered by the inbuilt dhcpv4 server.

This is related to the following commit.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/45a9eac9a0c85c0c76b46388a530edd335ae44af#diff-12a3ecdf5af7aa9f8583c27ac442ca43

This commit makes an assumption that carrier has been lost before it can be gained.

Mesh networks require configuration by external agents such as wpa_supplicant, hostapd or other command line tools. These can/will cause the carrier gained event to be generated. In the current code this causes an assertion which aborts further address configuration on the link.

I have attempted to fix this by checking whether the dhcp server is running before starting it again. This has opened a can of worms regarding the use of carrier state in relation to the configuration state of the link, when in fact they are entirely unrelated.

I think this has already been debated elsewhere, but I cannot find the reference.

I am happy to share my code if anyone is interested.

Roger