Re: Not able to start Weston dependent application

Hi,
I followed the steps in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/39/diffs

It's working fine.

Thank you all..

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 5:49 pm Jérémy Rosen, <jeremy.rosen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 31/10/2018 12:40, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:32:45 +0100
Jérémy Rosen <jeremy.rosen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

socket-activated weston ?

nice :)

Why does weston require logind ? I work in the embedded world and we
usually disable logind entirely (no users in the "human user" meaning of
the term)
That's when you run Weston as a normal user: logind grants access to
DRM and input devices and revokes access as well when appropriate.
Ok, no problem, we can deal with that in lots of ways.

I was afraid there was some more tricky stuff (dependencies on dbus API or something like that)

logind is not a hard requirement. That option has usually been
called for by people who don't have systemd at all. I'm not sure Weston
has ever been tested on systemd but without logind. Or maybe it works
and no-one told upstream. :-)
It works and no one told upstream :P

Weston (and wayland in general ) are a boon to the embedded world.

We are regularly asked to do systems with very precise placement for different windows coming from different apps

(think of a car, where the map application is usually an html5 in-browser application, but you can swith to air-conditionning control which is a hand-made Qt application, and the the back camera which is a separate Qt+Gstreamer application)

In the bad-old days, we would have to play with X and window-managers like Awesome to do that (or write our own window manager which is... hell)

Now, we have weston which is very good at dealing with that (thx IVI mode) or we can write or own compositor which is almost as easy as writing a normal GUI application (qtcompositor, mainly)

A bit offtopic here, sorry about that.

--
SMILE

20 rue des Jardins
92600 Asnières-sur-Seine

Jérémy ROSEN
Architecte technique
Responsable de l'expertise Smile-ECS

email jeremy.rosen@xxxxxxxx
phone +33141402967
url http://www.smile.eu

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Github

Découvrez l’univers Smile, rendez-vous sur
                smile.eu

eco Pour la planète, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire