Re: Failed to mount early API filesystems, freezing execution

On Di, 30.10.18 14:58, Esben Stien (b0ef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I have an old Ubuntu 16.04 that I upgraded and during the upgrade, it had a
> power failure.
>
> Now I only see this when I boot:
>
> failed to determine whether /sys is mount point
> failed to mount early api filesystems, freezing execution
>
> Here's a photo of the screen:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/uPH7HTd
>
> I've tried both targets:
>
> systemd.unit=emergency.target
> systemd.unit=rescue.target
>
> , but I'm ending up the same place.
>
> Is there any way to atleast get a shell?
>
> I'm not sure what systemd service it's complaining about?
>
> Any pointers as to what I can try?

This suggests that the root partition you are trying to boot doesn't
have properly set up /sys, /proc or /dev directories that we could
mount stuff too, or your intird set things up weirdly.

Either way I think it would be best to ping your downstream distro
about this.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat