Systemd boot failure in a VM

Dear Reader,

I am building my own linux system with systemd, following the directions
given by de LFS (linux from scratch) project. Until some time ago all
went well, but after systemd 232 (i think) - anyhow right at the time
that they start using meson/ninja to build systemd - I could not boot
the system anymore due to systemd freezing right after it has
established that it is on a VM with a x86_64 architecture.
Nowadays I also get a libc error before the system freezes.

I wonder if you have any reports like this when using meson/ninja or
just another systemd 233-8?

I have looked at the requirement page on freedesk and my config for the
kernel matches.
Also, I had modules and an initramfs before, which I now have all
included in the kernel, just in case.

Does de above give you any clue where to start looking?

Regards,
Frans.