GPL and unit/conf files

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> If I do it via an override file, is that a derived work of the GPL?
>
> no it is not - it's just a config file using as subset of options
>
> if that would be the case you couldn't shop any systemd-unit with your
> application
>
>> My wider point here is that maybe the GPL isn't the right/most
>> convenient licence header to put on settings files. ;)
>
> maybe, but no issue since you don't need to touch them

So, does that mean that if it's done by whole-sale replacement, shipping
the full file with modifications, that such a file can not be shipped
with a GPL-incompatible application?

I'm not trying to re-engineer anything (imagine I do not have that
power). I'm trying to determine whether something is permitted or not.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul at jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: