FRANCIS P. MULVEY DESIGNATED ACTING CHAIRMAN OF SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

The Surface Transportation Board announced today that Francis P. Mulvey has
been designated Acting Chairman of the agency by President Barack Obama,
succeeding former Board Chairman Charles D. Nottingham.  The announcement
follows the Board's receipt of an official order signed by the President on
March 12, 2009 and delivered to the Board in the late afternoon on March
13, 2009.

 Regarding his designation, Acting Chairman Mulvey stated:

 "I am honored to receive this designation by President Obama, and I look
 forward to serving the Board and the public in this capacity.  I believe
 that my long record of public service, especially in the transportation
 area, qualifies me for the work ahead.  I expect to work closely with
 Members of Congress to achieve the twin goals of ensuring that shippers
 pay reasonable rates for quality rail service and that railroads earn an
 adequate rate of return on capital.  I look forward, as well, to
 undertaking the new statutory responsibilities that Congress has entrusted
 to the Board."

 Former Board Chairman Nottingham plans to continue serving as a Member of
 the Board through the end of a term to expire on December 31, 2010.

 On the former Chairman's service in that capacity, Acting Chairman Mulvey
 said,

 "I have enjoyed working with Mr. Nottingham these past 2½ years and expect
 to work closely with him as we continue to fulfill our obligation to the
 American people.  I wish to publicly thank him for his service to the
 Board."

 Former Board Chairman and current Commissioner Charles D. Nottingham
 issued the following statement on Acting Chairman Mulvey's designation by
 the President:

 "I congratulate Frank Mulvey on his designation by the President as Acting
 Chairman, and I look forward to working closely with him in his new
 capacity.   I am grateful to President Obama, Secretary LaHood, former
 President Bush, and former Secretaries Peters and Mineta for giving me the
 opportunity to serve as Chairman of the Surface Transportation Board from
 August 2006 until March 2009."

 Acting Chairman Mulvey, a Democrat from Maryland, was nominated as a
 Member of the Board by President George W. Bush on November 17, 2003, for
 a four-year term ending December 31, 2007, that was confirmed by the
 United States Senate.  On November 30, 2007, President Bush nominated
 Mulvey to a second term of office, and the Senate confirmed that
 nomination for a term expiring December 31, 2012.

 Prior to joining the Board, Acting Chairman Mulvey was Staff Director,
 Railroad Subcommittee, and Staff Director, Pipelines and Hazardous
 Materials, for the Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, House Committee
 on Transportation and Infrastructure.  In those positions, he was
 responsible for all railroad legislative matters for the Ranking
 Democratic Member of the Committee and served as advisor to the Ranking
 Member on overall transportation-policy issues.

 Other positions held by the Acting Chairman were Deputy Assistant
 Inspector General for Rail, Transit, and Special Programs, Office of the
 Inspector General, U.S. Department of Transportation; Assistant Director
 for Social Security and Pension Issues at the former U.S. General
 Accounting Office; Assistant Director for Competition, Economic and
 Regulatory Analyses in the Transportation Issues Area, U.S. General
 Accounting Office; Director of Economic Research for the New York State
 Legislative Commission on Solid Waste Management; Programs Manager,
 Transportation Research Board, at the National Academy of Sciences; and
 Vice President for Research at the American Bus Association.

 Additionally, Acting Chairman Mulvey served as an Adjunct Faculty member
 at the R.H. Smith School of Business Administration at the University of
 Maryland.  He also taught economics and statistics at Northeastern
 University, Wheaton College and Bowling Green State University.

 The Acting Chairman holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Washington State
 University (1974); a B.S. in Economics from New York University (1966);
 and an M.A. in Economics from the University of California at Berkeley
 (1968).  Acting Chairman Mulvey and his wife, Petra, live in Maryland.
 They have one son, Conor, who resides in Silver Spring, MD.

 ###