SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD ANNOUNCES PUBLIC RELEASE OF RAILROADS' 2006 "PEAK SEASON" SERVICE PLANS

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

Surface Transportation Board Chairman W. Douglas Buttrey announced today
that he has publicly released the responses of the Class I railroads (the
Nation's largest) to his June 28, 2006 letter requesting information on the
railroads' "peak season" service plans.

 Chairman Buttrey's June 2006 letter to the chief executive officers of the
 seven largest railroads and to the American Short Line and Regional
 Railroad Association (ASLRRA) asked the railroads to inform the STB of
 their plans to ascertain the demand for, and to prepare for, the provision
 of peak-season service; their performance goals for the remainder of 2006
 and their  plans for achieving those goals; and their plans to communicate
 their service goals and plans with customers.

 In announcing the public release of these replies, Chairman Buttrey said:

 "I am today making available to the industry and the public the railroads'
 for addressing the "peak" shipping season.  The information in these
 season.  I want to thank the railroads for their timely responses with the
 information requested.

 "In the current climate of rapidly increasing demand for rail service, the
 railroads indicate that they expect to handle this year's peak season with
 reasonable efficiency.  In this regard, the railroads report significant
 capital investments in facilities and equipment, focused operational
 planning to enhance their performance metrics, increased hiring and
 training of employees, and regular communication with customers.  I trust
 that these responses that we are posting in full on the Board's Web site
 will prove to be informative and helpful."

 LINK TO ALL DOCUMENTS LISTED BELOW

 ● Chairman Buttrey's June 28, 2006 letter

 ● BNSF Railway Company response

 ● Canadian National Railway Company response

 ● Canadian Pacific Railway response (not yet available)

 ● CSX Transportation Inc. response

 ● Kansas City Southern Railway response

 ● Norfolk Southern Railway Company response

 ● Union Pacific Railroad response

 ● American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association response (not yet
 available)

 ###