STB CHAIR ANNOUNCES 1/3/06 RESIGN.

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

             SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD CHAIRMAN ROGER NOBER
                 ANNOUNCES HE WILL RESIGN JANUARY 3, 2006

        Surface Transportation Board Chairman Roger Nober announced today
that he will leave the Board on January 3, 2006.  He informed President
George W. Bush and Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta of his
plans by letter earlier this week.
        In his letter to the President, Chairman Nober stated:

        “I write to inform you that after careful consideration, I have
decided that it is best for me to leave government to pursue new
challenges, and therefore not to seek a second term as Chairman of Surface
Transportation Board.  I intend to resign my position as Chairman and
Member of the United States Surface Transportation Board on January 3,
2006.  This is just a few days after my current term expires on December
31, 2005.”

In making his plans public, Chairman Nober commented:

        “It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as Chairman of the
Surface Transportation Board for the past three years.  It has been a
difficult decision to not seek a second term, but I believe this is the
best course for me and my family.  It is with great regret that I leave
government service after nearly 13 years.

        “I want to thank the President and Secretary Mineta for the
opportunity to serve here, and to my fellow Commissioners W. Douglas
Buttrey and Francis P. Mulvey for their support and collegiality over the
past 18 months.  I will miss the Board and all those who work here, but I
believe that the only constant in government is change, and that I leave
the Board in capable hands.”

        Chairman Nober, a Republican from Maryland, was sworn in as the
Board’s sixth Member and designated as its second Chairman on November 26,
2002.  He served as the Board’s only Member for 54 weeks in 2003 and
2004.  Prior to his service on the Board, he was Counselor to Deputy
Secretary of Transportation Michael Jackson and Chief Counsel of the House
Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
        A full copy of Chairman Nober’s letter to President Bush is
attached.

                                    ###

ATTACHMENT
______________

                             December 12, 2005

The Honorable George W. Bush
The White House
Washington, DC  20500

Dear Mr. President:

I write to inform you that after careful consideration, I have decided that
it is best for me to leave government to pursue new challenges, and
therefore not to seek a second term as Chairman of Surface Transportation
Board.  I intend to resign my position as Chairman and Member of the United
States Surface Transportation Board effective January 3, 2006.  This is
just a few days after my current term expires on December 31, 2005.

I want to thank you and Secretary of Transportation Mineta for the
opportunity to serve your administration in two capacities over the past
four and one-half years, for the past three years as Chairman of the
Surface Transportation Board and before that, at the Department of
Transportation as Counselor to Deputy Secretary Jackson.  It has been an
honor to be a part of this administration.

While my decision to not seek another term and to depart soon after my
current term expires has been a difficult one, it is the best course of
action for my family and for me. Although it is with great regret that I
leave government after a total of nearly thirteen years, I am proud of my
career in public service and hope to have the opportunity to serve you and
the public again in the future.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                Roger Nober

cc:  The Honorable Norman Y. Mineta