Re: Null pointer dereference when station associates [introduced by 4.0.5?]

On 29/06/15 09:14, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-06-27 at 16:34 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Interestingly from what I can see this is trying to create a file
>> for the station at a path something like:
>>
>> ieee80211/phy0/netdev:XXXX/stations/XXXXXX
>
> indeed.
>
>> but in my (currently working) boot under 4.0.4 there is no netdev
>> directory under phy0 in debugfs... but then maybe that is the problem
>> as well if the inode pointer was null?
>>

> This is pretty strange - if the dentry pointer (sdata
> ->debugfs.subdir_stations) was NULL or an ERR_PTR(), the code would
> return pretty much immediately.
>
> So it looks like that pointer is valid, but it's ->d_inode was NULL?
>
> I'm not really sure how that could happen.

Indeed I'm a bit puzzled... I can't see anything obvious in the kernel
logs indicating a problem, but here's a listing of the phy0 directory:

[root@gosford]/home/tom# uname -a
Linux gosford.compton.nu 4.0.4-301.fc22.i686+PAE #1 SMP Thu May 21 13:27:48 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@gosford]/home/tom# ls /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0
ath9k                    keys              rc                 statistics
fragmentation_threshold  long_retry_limit  reset              total_ps_buffered
ht40allow_map            power             rts_threshold      user_power
hwflags                  queues            short_retry_limit  wep_iv

with no netdev directory at all.

Interestingly I just tried a different machine running on more or less
the same kernel with a USB wireless stick and that did get a netdev
directory...

> Since 4.0.4 was stable, and 4.0.5 crashes, you'd think there's
> something wrong between those two kernels and there were no changes to
> mac80211 related to these code paths in there.

Well 4.0.4 did hit it eventually, but it had been running stably
for a month first. I then rebooted (because networking is basically
wedged after this happens) and got 4.0.5 which hit it immediately as
did several more reboots before I went back to the older kernel.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/