Re: nfsv41: stale file handles after VM shutdown/poweron - but works during warm reboot

Hi,

> On 25. Sep 2024, at 16:32, Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "cold restart" versus
> "warm restart" but for the moment I will assume that "cold restart"
> means you reboot the NFS server host, and "warm restart" means
> you simply cycle the NFS service (eg systemctl restart nfs-server).

The NFS server is a VM: the "warm reboot" keeps the hypervisor process active and only performs an internal start within the VM. The “cold reboot” performs a shutdown/poweroff, the hypervisor process exits and then a new VM hypervisor process is started again.

> STALE means the file handle no longer exists on the server. This
> can mean the file system was unexported and thus is no longer
> accessible.
>
> In your case, I'm guessing that what is happening on a cold
> restart is the exported file system is replaced; for example
> a tmpfs. Or, maybe reboot removes exported files.

And while riding my bike home and getting some fresh air I came to the same conclusion (after previously bashing my head against this for hours).

We have a step where VMs (that are booted fresh on the hypervisor) get a randomized UUID on their root filesystem and because of $reasons we do that every time, not just during first boot. Looks like we need to stop doing that.

My problem goes away once I fix the fsid in the exports, but I don’t think I want to dig a deeper hole.

Sorry for the noise and thanks for the hint (which seems even arrived telepathically).

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx · +49 345 219401 0