Re: Kernel 5.15.150 black screen with AMD Raven/Picasso GPU

Am 23.05.24 um 18:29 schrieb Greg KH:

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 05:59:39PM +0200, Armin Wolf wrote:
Am 23.05.24 um 15:13 schrieb Barry Kauler:

On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 12:58 AM Armin Wolf <W_Armin@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 20.05.24 um 18:22 schrieb Alex Deucher:

On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 8:17 PM Armin Wolf <W_Armin@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 17.05.24 um 03:30 schrieb Barry Kauler:

Armin, Yifan, Prike,
I will top-post, so you don't have to scroll down.
After identifying the commit that causes black screen with my gpu, I
posted the result to you guys, on May 9.
It is now May 17 and no reply.
OK, I have now created a patch that reverts Yifan's commit, compiled
5.15.158, and my gpu now works.
Note, the radeon module is not loaded, so it is not a factor.
I'm not a kernel developer. I have identified the culprit and it is up
to you guys to fix it, Yifan especially, as you are the person who has
created the regression.
I will attach my patch.
Regards,
Barry Kauler
Hi,

sorry for not responding to your findings. I normally do not work with GPU drivers,
so i hoped one of the amdgpu developers would handle this.

I CCeddri-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  and amd-gfx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so that other
amdgpu developers hear from this issue.

Thanks you for you persistence in finding the offending commit.
Likely this patch should not have been ported to 5.15 in the first
place.  The IOMMU requirements have been dropped from the driver for
the last few kernel versions so it is no longer relevant on newer
kernels.

Alex
Barry, can you verify that the latest upstream kernel works on you device?
If yes, then the commit itself is ok and just the backporting itself was wrong.

Thanks,
Armin Wolf
Armin,
The unmodified 6.8.1 kernel works ok.
I presume that patch was applied long before 6.8.1 got released and
only got backported to 5.15.x recently.

Regards,
Barry

Great to hear, that means we only have to revert commit 56b522f46681 ("drm/amdgpu: init iommu after amdkfd device init")
from the 5.15.y series.

I CCed the stable mailing list so that they can revert the offending commit.
Please submit the patch/revert that you wish to have applied to the tree
so we can have the correct information in it.  I have no idea what to do
here with this deep response thread as-is, sorry.

thanks,

greg k-h

Hi,

the new 5.15.161 kernel finally contains the necessary patch (many thanks to the stable team :)).

Barry, can you test this kernel version and report if the issue is now gone?

Thanks,
Armin Wolf