Re: Patch "mnt: Fix a memory stomp in umount" has been added to the 3.14-stable tree

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:39:31PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:00:20PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So this one isn't technically needed. It turns out the memory stomp can't
> > actually happen, because while the code is ugly and wrong, the hlist_del_init
> > will actually fix things up almost by accident. Although it might even have
> > been on purpose by Al originally.
> >
> > So I'm not sure it needs back porting. It's *probably* a good idea, but the bug
> > wasn't as bad as originally thought.
> >
> > Al added to cc just to keep him in the loop. It might be worth back porting
> > just to keep stable similar to head wrt this very confusing code. Al, comments?
>
> I think it's probably worth keeping in sync just to keep the confusion
> to a minimum, unless Al objects.

No objections, except that I'd prefer more accurate commit message...

FWIW, I still think we need to add __hlist_splice(), but that'll go as a
followup to this one.  I'll post it tonight or tomorrow morning.  TBH,
originally it was just a quick and dirty solution - back then I had convinced
myself that everything worked (and it does), and left it as-is until later,
then forgot about that ugliness until Eric stumbled across it and posted
his patch.