Re: Bug in Kernel 6.8.x, 6.9.x Causing Trace/Panic During Shutdown/Reboot

On Fri, 24 May 2024 12:50:08 +0200
"Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)" <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - Affected Versions: Before kernel version 6.8.10, the bug caused a
> > quick display of a kernel trace dump before the shutdown/reboot
> > completed. Starting from version 6.8.10 and continuing into version
> > 6.9.0 and 6.9.1, this issue has escalated to a kernel panic,
> > preventing the shutdown or reboot from completing and leaving the
> > machine stuck.

You state "Before kernel version 6.8.10, the bug caused ...". Does that
mean that a bug was happening before v6.8.10? But did not cause a panic?

I just noticed your second screen shot from your report, and it has:

 "cache_from_obj: Wrong slab cache, tracefs_inode_cache but object is from inode_cache"

So somehow an tracefs_inode was allocated from the inode_cache and is
now being freed by the tracefs_inode logic? Did this happen before
6.8.10? If so, this code could just be triggering an issue from an
unrelated bug.

Thanks,

-- Steve