Re: Patch "spi: axi-spi-engine: Convert to platform remove callback returning void" has been added to the 6.1-stable tree

On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 09:22:48AM -0500, David Lechner wrote:

> It's just fixing a theoretical problem, not one that has actually
> caused problems for people. The stable guidelines I read [1] said we
> shouldn't include fixes like that.

> [1]: https://docs.kernel.org/process/stable-kernel-rules.html

> So, sure it would probably be harmless to include it without the
> other dependencies. But not sure it is worth the effort for only
> a theoretical problem.

The written stable guidelines don't really reflect what's going on with
stable these days at all, these days it's very aggressive with what it
backports.  Personally I tend to be a lot more conservative than this
and would tend to agree that this isn't a great candidate for
backporting but people seem OK with this sort of stuff.