Re: Patch "kbuild: rust: force `alloc` extern to allow "empty" Rust files" has been added to the 6.1-stable tree

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 6:42 PM Sasha Levin <sashal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.

I don't think it should be added since it requires upgrading the
compiler to Rust 1.71 (from 1.62) at least, given:

>     be fairly confusing for kernel developers [1], thus use the unstable
>     `force` option of `--extern` [2] (added in Rust 1.71 [3]) to force the
>     compiler to resolve `alloc`.

Now, we have upgraded the compiler in the past (in 6.6 LTS), so it
could be done, but the issue here was small enough (it should only
really affect kernel developers if they happen to create a new file or
similar) that it felt too minor to warrant it (especially since it
would a bigger compiler jump this time, with more changes required
too), so I asked for doing it only in 6.6 and 6.8 since those were
straightforward:

    https://lore.kernel.org/stable/2024042909-whimsical-drapery-40d1@gregkh/

If someone is actually doing development in 6.1 LTS with Rust enabled,
we may create bigger problems for them (even if it is just time used)
by upgrading the compiler than what this fix fixes here (which is an
issue they may not even care about or ever notice).

Cheers,
Miguel