Re: v5.15 backport request

On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 03:14:23PM +0200, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 13:50, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Secure Boot needn't be enabled.

And here is the background:
https://microsoft.github.io/mu/WhatAndWhy/enhancedmemoryprotection/

> > > What old distros still care about this for a kernel that was released in
> > > 2021?  I can almost understand this for 6.1.y and newer, but why for
> > > this one too?
> >
> > To be more specific, we have taken very large backports for some
> > subsystems recently for 5.15 in order to fix a lot of known security
> > issues with the current codebase, and to make the maintenance of that
> > kernel easier over time (i.e. keeping it in sync to again, fix security
> > issues.)
> >
> > But this feels like a "new feature" that is being imposed by an external
> > force, and is not actually "fixing" anything wrong with the current
> > codebase, other than it not supporting this type of architecture.  And
> > for that, wouldn't it just make more sense to use a newer kernel?
> >

> Jan (on cc) raised this: apparently, Oracle has v5.15 based long term
> supported distro releases, and these will not be installable on future
> x86 PC hardware with secure boot enabled unless the EFI stub changes
> are backported.
>
> >From my pov, the situation is not that different from v6.1: the number
> of backports is not that much higher than the number that went/are
> going into v6.1, and most of the fallout of the v6.1 backport has been
> addressed by now.
>
> For an operational pov, I need to defer to Jan: I have no idea what
> OEMs are planning to do wrt these new MS requirements, if they will

.. snip..

Hey Greg,

This is driven by the BlackLotus exploit and alike to fix boot-time
security lapses. From a risk perspective it is boot-time code so it is
very easy to figure out if it backports are busted.

In terms of OEMs, it is actually more of a cloud vendor wanting to roll
this soon-ish and that combined with our customers worshipping these
crusty old 5.15 kernels that puts us in this situation.