Re: Requesting backport for fc20c523211 (cifs: fixes for get_inode_info)

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 1:35 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 12:34:43PM +0530, Meetakshi Setiya wrote:
> > commit fc20c523211a38b87fc850a959cb2149e4fd64b0 upstream
> > cifs: fixes for get_inode_info
> > requesting backport to 6.8.x, 6.6.x, 6.5.x and 6.1.x
> >
> > This patch fixes memory leaks, adds error checking, and performs some important
> > code modifications to the changes introduced by patch 2 of this patch series:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/stable/CAFTVevX6=4qFo6nwV14sCnfPRO9yb9q+YsP3XPaHMsP08E05iQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > commit ffceb7640cbfe6ea60e7769e107451d63a2fe3d3
> > (smb: client: do not defer close open handles to deleted files)
> >
> > This patch and the three patches in the mails that precede this are related and
> > fix an important customer reported bug on the linux smb client (explained in the
> > mail for patch 1). Patches 2, 3 and 4 are meant to fix whatever regressions were
> > introduced/exposed by patch 1.
> > The patches have to be applied in the mentioned order and should be backported
> > together.
>
> Then PLEASE send this as a patch series, as picking patches out of
> emails that arrive in random order in a "correct" way is tough, if not
> impossible for us to do.
>
> Please send these as a backported set of patches, OR as a list of
> "cherry-pick these git ids in this order" type of thing.  But spreading
> it out over 4 emails just does not work, and is very very confusing.

To make it easier, I recommend we wait a few days on this as there is
one more important fix for this series that was recently found (by Paulo)
and I haven't sent to Linus yet - then can send the complete set
for at least 6.8 and 6.6 stable.  Do you prefer a separate email
for the 6.8 version of these, and another for the 6.6 rebased
version of the series - or all as one email? AFAIK she hasn't
rebased for 6.1LTS.

--
Thanks,

Steve