Re: fs/bcachefs/

On 2/21/24 18:57, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 05:00:05PM +0100, Oleksandr Natalenko wrote:
>> On středa 21. února 2024 15:53:11 CET Greg KH wrote:
>> > 	Given the huge patch volume that the stable tree manages (30-40 changes
>> > 	accepted a day, 7 days a week), any one kernel subsystem that wishes to
>> > 	do something different only slows down everyone else.
>>
>> Lower down the volume then? Raise the bar for what gets backported?
>> Stable kernel releases got unnecessarily big [1] (Jiří is in Cc).
>> Those 40 changes a day cannot get a proper review. Each stable release
>> tries to mimic -rc except -rc is in consistent state while "stable" is
>> just a bunch of changes picked here and there.
>
> If you can point out any specific commits that we should not be taking,
> please let us know.
>
> Personally I think we are not taking enough, and are still missing real
> fixes.  Overall, this is only a very small % of what goes into Linus's
> tree every day, so by that measure alone, we know we are missing things.

What % of what goes into Linus's tree do you think fits within the rules
stated in Documentation/process/stable-kernel-rules.rst ? I don't know but
"very small" would be my guess, so we should be fine as it is?

Or are the rules actually still being observed? I doubt e.g. many of the
AUTOSEL backports fit them? Should we rename the file to
stable-rules-nonsense.rst?