Re: fs/bcachefs/

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 03:13:08PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 05:12:17PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > Hi stable team - please don't take patches for fs/bcachefs/ except from
> > myself; I'll be doing backports and sending pull requests after stuff
> > has been tested by my CI.
>
> Now done:
> 	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git/commit/?id=9bf1f8f1ca9ae53cf3bc8781e4efdb6ebaee70db
>
> We will ignore it for any "Fixes:" tags, or AUTOSEL, but if you
> explicitly add a "cc: stable@" in the signed-off-by area, we will pick
> that up.

Would it work for your process to ignore cc: stable@ as well?

I want a tag that I can have tooling grep for later that means "this
patch should be backported later, after seeing sufficient testing", and
cc: stable@ has that meaning in current usage.

Or if you'd like that to be reserved for yourself we could think of a
new one.

> > Thanks, and let me know if there's any other workflow things I should
> > know about
>
> This is going to cause you more work, but less for us, so thanks!

per our conversation on IRC I'm going to write some simple tooling for
grepping through the git log for patches that may want to be backported
and haven't yet made it to a stable tree.

Also, Sasha, is there any reason your autosel tool couldn't be made
available for others to use that way?

Yes, it's more work for myself, but I have strong opinions that I as the
person who knows the code ought to be picking the patches to backport,
and doing the backports and resolving merge conflicts when necessary;
but collaborating on tooling would be _fantastic_.